The Canine Guru

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Do you think Pit Bulls should be banned in Tulsa?

Brandon Ross
Site Owner

The media is always showing stories about Pit Bulls attacking people. But are the dogs really to blame? Do you think that outlawing or breed banning is a solution to this issue?

September 11, 2010 at 5:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

CEG

Talk about a controversial topic!   In my opinion, it is the owner or breeder that has caused a violent animal.  I know there are cases where dogs are not mentally wired quite right (but then again, serial killers aren't either!), and will lash out., but as far as I know that is not a particular breed.  I have met and owned dogs big and small, some considered "dangerous" breeds, and have never been frightened.  However, if I encountrered a dog that had been trained,( like Vick did to his unfortunate dogs) to fight or a dog that has been physically abused, I would be terrified. It's all about conditional training.  A dog needs love and discipline.

--
September 11, 2010 at 8:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brandon Ross
Site Owner

Yes, it is a very controversial topic, but it's definitely one that needs to be talked about. There are, in fact, dogs out there with all kinds of mental conditions that can cause true aggression. Rage syndrom is the most prominant. Dogs with these medical conditions, truthfully, can't be fully rehabilitated. But those dogs are not, or shouldn't be, the issue. I'm concerned that the government will turn to banning certain breeds based on the actions of a few. BTW, Many of MV's dogs were successfully rehabilitated and placed with families! Thanks for your input CEG! :D

--

Signature

September 13, 2010 at 6:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cammy

I have studied what is considered Breed Specific Legislation, even gone to OKC to protest BSL.  I have rescued "Pits" that were trained to fight, and Best  Friends in Utah has successfully rehabbed and in most cases Best Friends was able to adopt out these dogs that were trained to fight.  One group of Pits that I was involved in rescuing were all rehabbed, and all still in happy, loving, forever homes.  Part of the problem with BSL is it also includes breeds in some states or cities such as Labs, Goldens, Rhodesian Ridge Backs, Mastifs, breeds that in general are fun, gentle, albeit  a bit out of control if not trained or just big kids untill they hit maturity.  What about Grandma's Chihuahuas that tore us kids up?  I say no breed should be banned, although I have dealt with a few killer westies!!!!!

--

To err is human:

To forgive: canine

September 17, 2010 at 1:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brandon Ross
Site Owner

Well said Cammy. I personally believe that if governments resort to banning breeds, there will be no end. People that fight dogs are going to find another breed of dog to fight eventually. Before you know it they'll have fighting Chihuahuas, Doxies, and Teacup poodles! I have in fact dealt with aggressive Chihuahuas before, and they are more aggressive than most Pit Bulls than I work with. But people don't see them as a threat because of their size. This is where education comes in. People need to be educated about this stuff before making rash decisions.

As for the Labs, Goldens, RRBs, and Mastiffs, I can tell you why some of these breeds are on the list. Lack of responsibility on the owner's part. Labs are very active dogs, as a matter of fact, I deal with more Labs with issues than most any other breed of dog. People don't meet their needs, the dogs get cabin fever and develope OCDs. They guard food, toys, beds, and can get very distructive because they have too much energy built up. Sometimes, aggression is a learned behavior. The dogs may have been abused, lived on the streets, ect, and learned that aggression was the best way, or only way, to survive.

For some reason, Goldens have been popping up with aggression issues lately. It has something to do with back yard breeders and puppy mills, or people who breed for money and know nothing about genetics. Since Goldens are very popular dogs, they are being produced at an alarming rate without care to breed even tempered dogs. Brinkly is a good example of this.

Rhodesian Ridge Backs are very misunderstood dogs. They are an African breed that are bred to hunt lions. In Europe they are culled if they don't have the ridge down their back. So it doesn't seem to matter what the breed's temperament is as long as they have the ridge.. which is actually a minor form of spina bifida. People looking for pets often don't research breeds before adopting, and often pick dogs based on looks. RRBs need to be in active homes with people that truely understand the nature of their dogs. They are not for first time dog owners.

As for Mastiffs, there are several kinds. English Mastiff, German Mastiff (Great Dane), Neopolitian Mastiff, Bull Mastiff, ect. If people would do their research on these breeds, rather than adopting based on looks, I think we wouldn't have as big of a problem as we do today.

BSL doesn't solve anything. It only hurts the people that actually do their research before adopting, and the dogs that have been raised correctly. Education is key. And that is what I strive to provide! :D

--

Signature

September 22, 2010 at 10:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.